[R] How extract the names of ID in SpatialPolygons object

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Dec 30 18:00:55 CET 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, fernando espindola wrote:

> Hi dear user,
>
> Anybody can tell me how extract the names of ID in  SpatialPolygons
> object,  I am try to link a data frame attributes with spatial polygons,
> but the row names of data frame is not the same that ID poligons.

The most generic way is to extract the "polygons" slot from your object
and then the "ID" from each member "Polygons" in turn - using sapply
because you want a character vector returned, one ID for each list member:

sapply(slot(mySpatialPolygons, "polygons"), function(x) slot(x, "ID"))

but there is an access function too:

getSpPPolygonsIDSlots()

which is just the above with a name.

Roger