[R] copy contributed packages from R 2.2.0 to 2.2.1

Ronnie Babigumira rb.glists at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 15:58:36 CET 2005

Hi Helli, this came up last week, Here are some of the replys posted

1.
In http://cran.r-project.org/contrib/extra/batchfiles/batchfiles_0.2-5.zip

are two Windows XP batch files:

movedir.bat
copydir.bat

which will move the packages (which is much faster and suitable if you don't need the old version of R any more) or copy
the packages (which takes longer but preserves the old version).

2.
x <- installed.packages()[,1]
install.packages(x)

3.
This is one reason we normally recommend that you install into a separate library.  Then update.packages(checkBuilt =
TRUE) is all that is needed. However,

foo <- installed.packages()
as.vector(foo[is.na(foo[, "Priority"]), 1])

will give you a character vector which you can feed to install.packages(), so it's not complex to do manually.

4.
If the previous installation is still alive, fire it up and

pS <- packageStatus()
pkgs <- pS$inst$Package[!pS$inst$Priority %in% c("base", "recommended")]
save(pkgs, file = "foo")

In the new installation,

load("foo")
install.packages(pkgs)