[R] maps package will not load

K.J.Mcconway K.J.Mcconway at open.ac.uk
Fri Dec 23 15:36:41 CET 2005

I recently installed the maps package, version 2.0-30, into an installation of R 2.2.1 on a rather ancient Pentium 3 PC under Windows NT4. When I try to load the library I get an error dialog with title 'Rgui.exe - Unable To Locate DLL', which says The dynamic link library R could not be found in the specified path (and then it lists the path, which does include the place that the DLL actually is). On dismissing this, I get the following in the console:

Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
        unable to load shared library 'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-22~1.1/library/maps/libs/maps.dll':
  LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found. Error in library(maps) : .First.lib failed for 'maps'

maps.dll is indeed in the place from which R tells me it can't load it. Other packages with a .First.lib continue to work correctly. I have repeated the installation of the maps package, from several different mirrors, and the same thing happens.

(To be more precise, I originally did this installation a few days ago into R 2.2.0, and got the results described above, and now I've installed R 2.2.1 and exactly the same thing happens, apart from the path being different of course.)

Any ideas?

Regards,

Kevin
Kevin McConway