[R] help with sapply, plot, lines

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 20:58:58 CET 2005

On 12/20/05, Uzuner, Tolga <tolga.uzuner at csfb.com> wrote:
> Ah OK. That is probably it, though I can't see why.
>
> In function sigma, I use a variable falled str, which would be bound in the environment to some value.

The environment into which sigma looks for str is the environment
where sigma was defined, i.e. the global environment, not the environment
where sigma was called from.  That's what lexical scoping means.
The alternative, in which sigma would look into the environment from
which it is called would be dynamic scoping but that's not the way
R works.