[R] given a mid-month date, get the month-end date

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 17:58:49 CET 2005

The zoo package has a yearmon class with as methods which can be
used:

library(zoo)
dd <- Sys.Date()  # test data

as.Date(as.yearmon(dd), frac = 1)

as.yearmon converts the "Date" class date to a year and month of
class "yearmon" dropping the day and representing it internally in
a way consistent with "ts" class.

as.Date above then converts it back to "Date" class.
Since yearmon dates have no day (they are just a year and
a month) the frac argument is used to indicate what fraction
of the month to use as the day of the month so frac = 0 (the
default) would give the beginning of the month) and frac = 1
gives the end.