[R] memory tops out at 1.84gb on OS X 10.4 machine w/ 5GB ram

Roger D. Peng rpeng at jhsph.edu
Thu Dec 15 14:17:20 CET 2005

I'm not completely sure, but I don't think OS X is at the point yet where it can
access > 2GB of memory (like, for example, Linux on Opteron).  More
specifically, I'm not sure a single process image can access > 2GB of memory,
but I'd welcome any corrections to that statement.  To be sure, this problem is
not an issue with R because R has regularly been reported to access u> 4GB of
memory when the OS allows it.

-roger

Roger D. Peng  |  http://www.biostat.jhsph.edu/~rpeng/