[R] help with writing function

Oarabile Molaodi oarabile at stams.strath.ac.uk
Wed Dec 14 11:37:06 CET 2005

Thanks for the help Petr it works,  and all who contributed  managed
with the  suggested function below as I needed to remove the zeros and
the upper triangular portion of the matrix.:

IED <- function(risk) {

   n     <- length(risk)
   mrisk <- matrix( rep(risk, n), ncol=n, byrow=TRUE )
   diff  <- abs(risk - mrisk)

   diff[ lower.tri(diff) ]
 }

OR

IED2 <- function(risk){
   o <- abs( outer( risk, risk, FUN="-" ) )
   o[ lower.tri(o) ]
 }

Oarabile