[R] Change labels of x-axes in Plot of stl() function?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 17:06:44 CET 2005

If you look through the output of:

stats:::plot.stl

you see right near the end that "time" is hard coded in the call to mtext.

However, we could temporarily redefine mtext so that it works as you
wish and then redefine plot.stl so that it looks within the environment
of our function to find mtext (rather than looking in the stats package):

plot.stl <- function(..., xlab = "time") {
	mtext <- function(text, ...) graphics::mtext(xlab, ...)
	plot.stl <- stats:::plot.stl
	environment(plot.stl) <- environment()
	plot.stl(...)
}