[R] R is GNU S, not C.... [was "how to get or store ....."]

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Dec 6 20:26:59 CET 2005

Xiaofan Li wrote:
> I consistently use ";" at every end of my R code and have found it much more
> neat than those sentences without an end; for "<-" and "=", if I were the
> author I would rather take the first representation as a sign of
> passing-by-reference while the latter by value.

The problem with doing this is that it can be misleading.  For example,
you might think the following code does something different than what it
does:

   x <-  1
       + 2 ;

which gives a result that might surprise you:

 >   x <-  1
 >       + 2 ;
[1] 2
[1] 1

You can argue that R's rules for marking the end of statements are
rather bizarre and they should be different, but they aren't, and you
shouldn't use a style of coding that suggests that they are.

Duncan Murdoch