[R] R is GNU S, not C.... [was "how to get or store ....."]

McGehee, Robert Robert.McGehee at geodecapital.com
Tue Dec 6 17:31:43 CET 2005

> Jan T. Kim wrote:
>
> There is a draft R Coding Convention available at
>
>     http://www.maths.lth.se/help/R/RCC/
>
> which may be useful for finding a style that is good because it is
> widely used and therefore familiar to a large number of readers.--

However, as the author Henrik Bengtsson points out "these guidelines are
ours and not the R-developers." Perhaps a definitive style guide
published by R core that ensured consistency among new base code would
be a helpful addition. I personally find the above style guide extremely
useful when multiple programmers work on the same project, and would
welcome a formal endorsement or revision by the R developers. (And
despite Henrik's elegant guide, I too leave off the semicolons at the
end of the lines.)

--Robert