[R] R is GNU S, not C.... [was "how to get or store ....."]

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Tue Dec 6 17:21:01 CET 2005

I don't put in extraneous ';' because I maybe get a
blister on my little finger.

I suspect that those who find the semi-colons ugly in
R do not find them ugly in C.  I think the reason there
would be a visceral reaction  in R but not in C is that
there is a danger when using them in R that they really
mean something.

We get questions on R-help often enough about why
code like:

if(x > 0) y <- 4
else y <- 4.5e23

doesn't work.

If people habitually used semi-colons, those sorts of
questions would probably multiply.

Patrick Burns
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696