[R] Broken links on CRAN

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Mon Dec 5 21:46:14 CET 2005

On 05-Dec-05 Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 12/5/2005 10:14 AM, Doran, Harold wrote:
>> Sorry, didn't think about that. The mirror I used was
>>
>> http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/
>>
>> I checked other mirrors and they did work fine.
>
> Which packages did you have trouble with?  I just tried a couple, and
> they were fine.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

Since there's continuing interest in this, I'm summarising below
what I sent privately earlier to Harold Doran; I've not heard back
yet nor has it yet been followed up on the list.

Basically, he sent me a file he'd downloaded: asp.pdf from the
http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/ website, and I downloaded the
same file from the same website.

His file contained only 15146 butes, while mine had 100484 bytes,
and the first 15146 bytes of mine were identical to his. My file
opened perfectly in Acrobat Reader. His, of course, did not!

The conclusion is that, for some reason, when he downloads from
that mirror the files are truncated (since he has observed the
problem with several from that mirror, but not from other mirrors).
I have had no problems with about 6 files from that same mirror.

Whether this is due to a system problem local to Harold, or to
a problem along the line between his site and that mirror, is
something it's difficult to make suggestions about investigating.

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 05-Dec-05                                       Time: 20:27:02