[R] fSeries: garchOxFit - is really the example provided not runnig?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sun Dec 4 12:03:12 CET 2005

Julio Thomas wrote:

> Dear R-helpers,
>
>   I have just loaded the fSeries package and I wanted to run the example provided in the documentation of garchOxFit but I got the following:
>
>   > library(fSeries)
>
>>?garchOxFit
>>library(datasets)
>>?garchOxFit
>>   ## Not run:
>>     ## garchOxFit -
>>        # Load Benchmark Data Set:
>>        data(dem2gbp)
>>        x = dem2gbp[, 1]
>>        # Fit GARCH(1,1):
>>        garchOxFit(formula.mean = ~arma(0,0), formula.var = ~garch(1,1))
>
> Error in system(command, show.output.on.console = trace, invisible = TRUE) :
>         unused argument(s) (show.output.on.console ...)
>
>>     ## End(Not run)

Both "show.output.on.console" and "invisible" are Windows only arguments
of system(). This is a bug in the package that needs to be reported to
the package maintainer, Diethelm Wuertz (CCing).

>   Does "## Not run:" means the example does not work?

It means that the package meintainer decided not to run this part of the
examples by R CMD check, hence it is unchecked (and nobody traced the
bug before).

Uwe Ligges