[R] about comparison of KURTOSIS in package: moments and fBasics

P Ehlers ehlers at math.ucalgary.ca
Fri Dec 2 23:28:26 CET 2005

(Haven't seen an anwer to this yet; maybe I missed it.)

klebyn wrote:

> Hello
>

> I do not know very much about statistics (and English language too :-( ),
> then I come in search of a clarification (explanation):
>
> I found two distinct results on KURTOSIS and
> I do not know which of them is the correct one.
> Any aid will be welcome!
>

> klebyn

The code will show you why you get different results.

fBasics:
  kurtosis = sum((x - mean(x))^4/var(x)^2)/length(x) - 3

moments:
  n <- length(x)
  n * sum((x - mean(x))^4)/(sum((x - mean(x))^2)^2)

So pkg:moments uses the ratio of 4th sample moment to
square of second sample moment, while pkg:fBasics uses the
variance instead of the second moment and subtracts 3
(for reasons to do with the Normal distribution).

Peter Ehlers