[R] Impaired boxplot functionality - mean instead of median

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Dec 1 17:16:07 CET 2005

Boxplots were invented by John W. Tukey and I think should be
counted among the top "small but smart" achievements from the
20th century.  Very wisely he did *not* use mean and standard deviations.

Even though it's possible to draw boxplots that are not boxplots
(and people only recently explained how to do this with R on this
 mailing list), I'm arguing very strongly against this.

If I see a boxplot - I'd want it to be a boxplot and not have
the silly (please excuse)  10%--------90% whiskers  which
declare 20% of the points as outliers {in the boxplot sense}.

If you want the mean +/- sd plot, do *not* misuse boxplots
for them, please!

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

    Evgeniy> Hello to all users and wizards.
    Evgeniy> I am regulary using 'boxplot' function or its analogue - 'bwplot' from
    Evgeniy> the 'lattice' library.

 [there's the lattice *package*  !]