[R] Strange Estimates from lmer and glmmPQL

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 1 08:47:30 CET 2005

GEE models are very different from the subject-specific models fitted by
glmmPQL: see the comparison in MASS.  You are testing quite different
hypotheses.  You appear to be assuming that some things `appear not to
work' because they do not give the same results as a different test.

Suppose x were logical, and that almost all subjects did better with
x=TRUE.  Then what you are saying is that most subjects have response 0 or
1 irrespective of x, but suppose that when they differ, it was (almost)
always x=TRUE that gave 1.

Then the subject-specific model will have a large positive coefficient for
x.  (It is possible that if the pattern is the same for all individuals
the MLE is infinite, called complete separation.)

OTOH, the GEE model applies to the population, and in the population
x=TRUE makes rather little difference to the mean response.  GEE models
attenuate subject-specific effects, and can do so dramatically.