[R] interactive time series plot

Greg Snow greg.snow at ihc.com
Mon Aug 29 21:29:22 CEST 2005

I don't think that the par(ask=T) will do it for you.  Some alternatives
to try:

1. use the slider function in either the relax package or the
TeachingDemos
    package to create a Tk slider that you move back and forth with the
mouse
   and have the graph update accordingly.

2. Use locator(1) to have the user advance the graph by clicking and
have
    your function determine the direction moved based on if they click
on the
    right or left part of the graph (see put.points.demo in
TeachingDemos
    package for an example).

3. Use the readline function to prompt for keyboard input and move the

    window based on the keyboard input.

hope this helps,

Greg Snow, Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center, LDS Hospital
Intermountain Health Care
greg.snow at ihc.com
(801) 408-8111

>>> "Chris Paulse" <cpaulse at aecom.yu.edu> 08/29/05 12:03PM >>>
Hi,

I've written the following function to display small windows of a time
series (and a processed version of it) with mouse clicks used to move
the
window forward.

ViewRawAndProcessed <- function(raw, processed, width=1000)

{

      len <- length(raw)

      n <- round(len/width)

      for (i in 1:n)

      {

            plot(raw[((i-1)*width):(i*width)], type="s")

            lines(processed[((i-1)*width):(i*width)], type="s",
col="red")

            s <- sprintf("%d - %d", (i-1)*width,(i*width))

            mtext(s)

            par(ask=TRUE)

      }

}

What I'd like to do is modify the function so that it stays within a
loop
and accepts right and left cursor keys (or h and l) to shift the
current
window backwards and forwards (with the q key causing a break from the
loop).

Is this possible with the par(ask=TRUE) command?

Thanks,

Chris Paulse