[R] update.packages() is NOT broken?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 26 08:17:55 CEST 2005

Please use a less contentious subject.  This is discourteous to the people
who gave you update.packages().

If you had bothered to look, you would have seen that

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/2.1

was last updated on 14 July.  Thus the issue is that the binary builds for
MacOS X have not been updated recently. You can of course change your
defaults so R uses source packages and you will get all the updates (if
you have the tools to install such packages). Alternatively, you could
report the problem to the proper place.

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Ajay Narottam Shah wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I am using R 2.1.1 on Apple OS X 10.3.
>
> Earlier, I used to say
>
> $ sudo R
>> update.packages()
>
> and all the packages used to get installed.
>
> For several weeks, I noticed that nothing has been coming through. I
> used the R-for-Mac graphics console and I find that there are many
> packages where new versions have come out which I don't have. Is
> something wrong with update.packages()?
>
> I also noticed that the CRAN Task Views function update.ctv()
>
>> update.ctv <- function(view, force.bundles = FALSE) {
>    f <- function(x) if (x[1] == view) x$packagelist$name
>    ctv.pkgs <- unlist( sapply( CRAN.views(), f) )
>    idx <- if (force.bundles) 1 else c(1,5)
>    installed.pkgs <- c(installed.packages()[,idx])
>    dnld.packages <- setdiff(ctv.pkgs, installed.pkgs)
>    install.packages(dnld.packages, dependencies = TRUE)
>    update.packages()
>  }
>
> misbehaves, perhaps because it's internally using update.packages()?

Please do read the posting guide and learn from its advice.  What does
`misbehaves' mean?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk