[R] read a table ignoring specific rows ?

vincent@7d4.com vincent at 7d4.com
Mon Aug 22 19:10:22 CEST 2005

Dear R users,
First of all sorry for this question, surely quite naive.
(I searched on the R site but was unable to find by myself).

I have a table, called infile :
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

I would like to read it and ignore the rows with 1st element > 3
I do it now with a for loop, and it's ok,
but I was expecting something simpler, like :

intable  = read.table(infile);
newtable = intable[isgoodrow(intable)];

where :   isgoodrow = function(therow)
{if (therow$V1 > 3) return(F) else return(T);};

(... but this don't work).

So, could somebody please tell me if there is a way to read
a table ignoring specific rows, without using a for loop ?
... and if yes how ?

Thanks
Vincent