[R] Installing R in Fedora Core 4

White, Charles E WRAIR-Wash DC charles.edwin.white at us.army.mil
Fri Aug 19 17:07:59 CEST 2005

-----Original Message-----
On Fri, 8/19, Gavin Simpson wrote:
Peter Dalgaard has noted, on the R-Devel list (sorry I can't provide the
link to the mail - the link from the R site to the mail archives wasn't
working when I tried), that there are problems with the R rpm from
Fedora Extras, including a strange printing bug. I believe Peter now
thinks this is a bug in R (seem to have deleted that post - doh) exposed
by the compilation flags used by the maintainer of the Fedora Extras
rpm.

If you want and rpm to install, then Martyn Plummer provides R binaries
for Red Hat / Fedora systems that are available from CRAN e.g: for FC4
http://www.stats.bris.ac.uk/R/bin/linux/redhat/fc4/

Martyn has also made these available via a yum-compatible repository, so
the benefits you note of auto-notification of updates etc. apply here as
well.

HTH

-----End Original Message-----

The last time I tried to use the Martyn Plummer RPMs they were compiled
without enabling shared libraries and I ended up compiling R myself so
that I could use JGR. Messages describing the problem with the version
actually on the Extras CD were my other unstated reason for describing
yum instead of downloading the CD. I haven't heard there is a problem
with Fedora's new RPMs but that doesn't prove that there aren't any. I
fully agree with Martyn Plummer's readme notice that describes Fedora
Core as bleeding edge technology not to be trusted for production use.
Fedora Core describes itself that way.