[R] Handling of tables in R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 19 11:58:46 CEST 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Romain Francois wrote:

> Le 19.08.2005 11:22, Anne a écrit :
>
>> Save your table in a text file ( see ?write.table ) with the separator
>> set to "\t" ; you can then import it into excel
>>
>> for the nb of digits use
>>> options(digits=3)

Only for printing in R: see below for other suggestions.

> And if you run R on windows (just a guess because you didn't tell), the
> saving-to-a-file part is not necessary. use :
> R> write.table(your.data.frame, file='clipboard')
> and on excel "paste", your data should magically appear on excel ...

You are likely to be better off with write.csv().  There _is_ a manual (`R
Data Import/Export') about this. (In particular, the default setting for
col.names in write.table is not usually what Excel usually expects, and
the default separator is space, so you better not have spaces (or for
Anne's suggestion, tabs) in the data.)

> Romain
>
>> Anne
>>

>> 2005/8/19, Fredrik Thuring <frt at codan.dk>:
>>

>>>       Hi!
>>>
>>>       I have a few questions concerning reading of tables from R to
>>> other programs. My main question is if it's even possible to read a table
>>> created in R (with the functions data.frame     and save) to Excel (or
>>> maybe SAS) and if so how does one do this? If I just mark the table in R
>>> and copy-paste to Excel the whole table ends up in one single cell, (of
>>> course).        My goal is to copy the table to Excel (or SAS) in such a
>>> way that a single observation gets placed in a single cell.
>>>
>>>       If this isn't possible, is there any way to reduce the number of
>>> digits in a table in R?

?round, ?signif, ?format.  (Anne's answer applies to printing, not to the
table and not to write.table/csv.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk