[R] RMySQL not loading on Mac OS X

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Thu Aug 18 04:21:19 CEST 2005

On 11/08/2005, at 8:00 PM, Georg Otto wrote:
> I have a problem loading RMySQL 0.5-5 on Mac OS 10.4.2 running R
> 2.1.1.
>
> I installed RMySQL using:
>
> export PKG_CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/mysql/include"
> export PKG_LIBS="-L/usr/local/mysql/lib -lmysqlclient"
>
> R CMD INSTALL /Users/gwo/Desktop/RMySQL_0.5-5.tar.gz
>

> The installation seemed to work ok, but when I load RMySQL in R I get
> an error message:
>

>> library(RMySQL)
>>
> Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
>          unable to load shared library '/Library/Frameworks/
> R.framework/Resources/library/RMySQL/libs/RMySQL.so':
>    dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/RMySQL/
> libs/RMySQL.so, 6): Symbol not found: _printf$LDBLStub
>    Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/
> RMySQL/libs/RMySQL.so
>    Expected in: flat namespace
> Error in library(RMySQL) : .First.lib failed for 'RMySQL'
>
> Any hint will be highly appreciated!

I notice this question never got a reply.

It would have been better asked on the sig-Mac list, but here are
some pointers.

The
> libs/RMySQL.so, 6): Symbol not found: _printf$LDBLStub
is caused by not linking all the necessary system libraries.

Either
1.  there is an attempt to link objects and/or static libraries built
with gcc-3.x/g77 with objects produced by gcc-4.x/gfortran.  This
will not work.
or
2.  there is an attempt to link using ld or libtool rather than the
gcc compiler driver which will ensure that appropriate system
libraries are used.

FWIW I had no problem building it, but I was using an R package which
I built from source.  So I know the same compiler was used throughout.

If you are using the R binary distribution, make sure you have run
'sudo gcc_select 3.3' to get the right default compiler.

Bill Northcott