[R] preprocessing data

David Smith dsmith at insightful.com
Wed Aug 17 00:50:10 CEST 2005

> My question is concerning the line
> "This is adequate for small files, but for anything more
> complicated we
> recommend using the facilities   of a language like perl to
> pre-process the file."

An alternative to Perl is to use the big data library of S-PLUS 7 Enterprise,
which would allow you to read in the entire fixed-format file and pre-process
it using S commands. You could then export the processed data to a file from
S-PLUS and import into R.  If your university has S-PLUS, S-PLUS 7 Enterprise
should be available (all academic institutions were upgraded to S-PLUS 7
Enterprise, which has the big data library).

You can read more information about the big data library at:

http://www.insightful.com/insightful_doclib/document.asp?id=167

# David Smith

--
David M Smith <dsmith at insightful.com>
Senior Product Manager, Insightful Corp, Seattle WA

New S-PLUS 7! Create advanced statistical applications with large data sets.
www.insightful.com/splus