[R] General expression of a unitary matrix

J. Liu liuj24 at univmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Sun Aug 14 16:36:16 CEST 2005

Thank you, Spencer. I read through the websites you suggested. What I
need is how to parameterize a 2\times 2 unitary matrix. Generally,
since for a complex 2\times 2 matrix, there are 8 free variables, and
for it to be unitary, there are four constraints (unit norm and
orthogonality), hence I think there are four free variables left for a
2\times 2unitary matrix. The form I found can not decribe all the
unitary matrix, that is why I suspect that it is not the most general
one. The form in the second web you suggested is an interesting one,
however, since only 3 variables invovled, it may not be the most
general expression.

Jing