[R] How to add decision trees into a list?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Aug 14 14:23:42 CEST 2005

You have not created a list to add trees (not 'decision trees' from rpart,
BTW) to.  You need something like

collection <- vector("list", 5)
collection[[1]] <- fit

Reading ?c should illuminate your mistake: note that 'fit' is a list (and
so already a vector).

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Martin Lam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am somewhat new to R so this question may be
> foolish, but is it possible to add decision trees into
> a list, array or vector in R?
>
> I am trying to build a collection (ensemble) of
> decision trees. Every time a new instance arrive I
> need to get the prediction of each decision tree. I
> have tried to add a decision tree into a variable but
> without luck. Is a special package needed perhaps?

No, just reading the basic documentation.