[R] help on cross hedge optimal hedge variance ratio

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Aug 13 19:39:01 CEST 2005

	  You have not told us what software you used to get the results you
present.  My first question is whether you are working with prices or
log(prices)?  If the former, I suggest you consider the latter;  price
changes tend to be much better behaved, more nearly normal, etc., on the
log scale than in dollars, Euros, Rupias, or whatever.

	  Secondly, have you made a normal probability plot of the residuals,
preferably using "studres" in library(MASS)?  (If you don't have
Venables and Ripley 2002 Modern Applied Statistis with S, Springer, I
recommend you get it and spend some time with it.  In addition to
"studres", it has an excellent chapter devoted to an introductory
discussion of time series analysis.)  Outliers suggest you may need to
be working with some of the more sophisticated Rmetrics tools, but I'm
not sufficiently familiar with those to say much more about that at the
present time.

	  If I had outliers, I might just delete them initially.  However, I
would definitely want to come back to them later, because the outliers
could provide more information than other observations to predict, for
example, a structural change in the market.  Modeling and reacting
properly to such signals could make the difference between stellar
performance and disaster in managing a hedge fund.

	  Thirdly, have you made acf and pacf of the residuals?  Also, have you
computed the Box-Ljung statistic (function Box.test)?  If no, I suggest
you do that as a next step.  If they indicate some kind of
autocorrelation structure, I might then try to model and estimate that
along with your regression model using function "arima".

	  If you still have questions (which I suspect), then feel free to ask
another question.  However, before you do that, PLEASE do read the
posting guide prior! "http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html".
Many people find answers to their own questions in the process of
working through the posting guide.  Questions posted following that
process tend to be clearer, easier for others to understand and respond
to.  On average, this tends to increase the speed, volume and utility of