[R] g77 and R

rab45+@pitt.edu rab45+ at pitt.edu
Sat Aug 13 06:03:35 CEST 2005

> rab45+ at pitt.edu wrote:
>> Jerry,
>>
>> Here are the two R packages.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Rick
> All the fortran codes compile OK so the problem is invoking the compiler
> you
> want.  One approach which is a work around is to rename the gfortran
> executable
> to somthing else like gfortran-save and create a link called gfortran that
> points to g77.  That might work, but its a hack.
>
>  From looking at these it appears that they are intended to be built from
> the R
> environment.  Unfortunately I am not an R user and I am not familiar with
> it.
>
> What is the usual build process you go through?
>
> Jerry

I was able to install rmutil by using g77. During installation, R prints
out the gfortran command with parameters. I ran this part separately using
g77 in place of gfortran. I could have used a link to g77 (if I removed
gfortran) but when I did this, there was a problem with the
"mtune=pentium4" argument so I removed this argument. Then the various
fortran programs compiled. I then use R to install the package and
(miracuously) R installed the package. (It seems R skipped trying to
compile the fortan code once the executables were already created and
available - so R was able to put the created functions into the library
tree so they could be used in an R session.)

This is all very kludgy - I would prefer to go back to a few days ago
without gfortran and R packages installed without any problems.

Rick B.