[R] Manually Calculating Odds from POLR Model

Tate Avery tate_sterling_avery at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 12 21:50:17 CEST 2005

Hello,

I am using polr(...) to generate a model.  The summary shows the
coefficients and the intercepts.

For example:

    coefficient for x1 = c1
    coefficient for x2 = c2

    intercept A|B = i1
    intercept B|C = i2

I can then run predict(..., type="p") with the model and see the odds for
each factor.

For example:

      A        B        C
1    0.3     0.5      0.2
2    0.4     0.1      0.5

What I really want to be able to do is take the 2 coefficients, the 2
intercepts, the x1 & x2 values and manually calculate the probabilities
generated by predict().

I have been searching quite extensively for the underlying calculations that
transform the polr output and the input variables into the final output
odds.  I have tried a number of dead-end roads so far.

So, if anyone has any information on how to do this or where I can find out,
I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you for your time,
Tate Avery