[R] Concerning reading of SAS-files

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Aug 12 17:26:39 CEST 2005

bogdan romocea wrote:
> The first one is an index, not a data set. Anyway, just use SAS to
> export the data sets in text format (CSV, tab-delimited etc). You can
> then easily read those in R. (By the way, the help for read.xport says
> that 'The file must be in SAS XPORT format.' Is .sas7bdat an XPORT
> file? Hint: no.)

If you want to go the CSV route, the sasxport.get function in Hmisc can
help.  Its help function references a Howto on our web site.  Beware
that SAS PROC EXPORT which it uses is not really a PROC but a stored
macro (where do all the billions of $ SAS earns go?) that has a bug if
you have an unmatched quote in a field.  sasxport.get will detect the
problem because it compares the number of observations to that reported
by PROC CONTENTS.

Frank Harrell