[R] R_X11 module cannot be loaded

Pat Meyer paterijk at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 12 12:50:46 CEST 2005

Hi,

I encountered a problem while working in R on our Server (4 Itanium 2
processors). We have redhat for IA64 installed, and R version R-2.0.1
(2004-11-15).

Here is my problem.

When I run R in a console, the png command works flawlessly and it outputs a
png file.

Nevertheless, when I run R on a file containing a png command in BATCH mode,
I get:

-------------
Error in png(file.path("/home/pat/Documents/Work/R2HTML", graph1)) :
        R_X11 module cannot be loaded
In addition: Warning message:
X11 module is not available under this GUI
Execution halted

Can anybody tell me what is going on?

I tried the same thing on other computers (normal i386 processors), and
everything works fine there. Is it my R version which is out of date?

Thank you very much for your precious help

Patrick