[R] Digest reading is tedious

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Tue Aug 9 19:48:49 CEST 2005

On 09-Aug-05 Trevor Hastie wrote:
> Like many, I am sure, I get R-Help in digest form. Its easy enough
> to browse the subject lines, but then if an entry interests you,
> you have to embark on this tedious search or scroll to find it.
> It would be great to have a "clickable" digest, where the topics list
> is a set of pointers, and clicking on a topic takes you to that entry.
> I can think of at least one way to do this via web pages, but I bet
> those with more web skills than me can come up with an elegant
> solution.

If that were implemented, I would suggest that it should be a third
category of format, "html-digest", say.

Otherwise, people (though I'm not one of them) who choose to receive
R-help in digest form but use text-based mail software will find
their screens cluttered with HTML tags.

It's a good idea, but I think the existing digest format should
also be kept as it is.

Best wishes,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861