[R] (more) computationally singular

Christian Hennig chrish at stats.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Aug 8 19:23:43 CEST 2005

More ideas:

You can also perform an Eigenvalue decomposition of the covariance
matrix and see along which
directions the singularity occurs and how strong it is.
Consequences could be: rescaling (or omission) of variables that are
strong in these
directions, taking principal components, or linear transformation of the
whole data in order to attain less extreme ratios between cov eigenvalues.

Generally I would say that information reduction (principal components or
leaving out variables) should only be done if "small variance along a
direction" means that "this direction is not important" in terms of the
subject matter problem. Otherwise transformation could help. (Perhaps my
guess was wrong in the first mail, you don't have to multiply something
by 1e20 to repair a 1e-25 condition number and a more moderate
transformation suffices.)

Best,
Christian