[R] Modifying the parameters for a function

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Aug 4 16:33:22 CEST 2005

Philip Bermingham wrote:
> I have modified the parameters for a function (for my own use) in the
> stats package, but I assume I need to update the parameter set in
> another file as I'm getting the following error when I  run R:
>

> The compile works fine so I assume there is a configuration file in the
> base package of R that needs modification.
>

> Error in parse(file, n, text, prompt) : syntax error on line 11102
>
> Error: unable to load R code in package 'stats'

This means that you've introduced a syntax error when you did your
edits.  The line number information is fairly useless:  R has
concatenated all of the files together, you don't see the original line
number.  Your best strategy is to look at where you made changes.

I'm hoping to improve the error reporting on parse errors in R 2.2, but
time is flying by...

Duncan Murdoch