[R] Multilevel logistic regression using lmer vs glmmPQL vs.gllamm in Stata

Bernd Weiss bernd.weiss at uni-koeln.de
Thu Aug 4 08:11:37 CEST 2005

Am 3 Aug 2005 um 18:02 hat ronggui geschrieben:

> >On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Bernd Weiss wrote:
> >
> >> I am trying to replicate some multilevel models with binary
> >> outcomes using R's "lmer" and "glmmPQL" and Stata's gllmm,
> >> respectively.

[...]

> the glmmPQL and lmer both use the PQL method to do it ,so can we get
> the same result by setting some options to the command?

Thanks to Prof. Ripley and ronggui for their answers.

To verify my findings I tried other datasets and simulated some data
and compared the results between R and Stata. Everything works fine,
no differences -- except for the xerop-dataset.

Having a closer look to the R output I found some unusual values for
AIC, BIC and deviance, see below:

           AIC           BIC         logLik      deviance
 1.797693e+308 1.797693e+308 -8.988466e+307 1.797693e+308

I assume I have to change some of the lmer-parameters but have
absolutely no idea which one.

Again, I would appreciate any help.

Bernd