[R] parallel computing in R

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Aug 2 23:32:05 CEST 2005

Steve Adams <steve_adams_sd <at> yahoo.com> writes:
> Hi, is there an excellent source of documentation for
> installation, configuration of R packages
> (Rmpi,snow,rsprng etc.) for parallel computing on
> linus system?

In case you want it ready-to-run, Rmpi, SNOW, Rsprng, ... work out
of the box under Quantian, which would give you openMosix to boot
which can make scheduling MPI/PVM easier. For more about Quantian,
see the pages at http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian

All three are also part of Debian so you could add them (pre-built,
no less) to a regular Debian system, and possibly a derived system
such as Ubuntu. Sprng was a bit tricky to build, the others are
pretty standard.

I talked about it a little at Usenix last year and intend to revisit
this for DSC 2005 in a couple of days.

Hope this helps, Dirk