[R] memory limit

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Aug 2 22:24:40 CEST 2005

array chip wrote:

> Hi, is it possible to increase the memory limit to
> infinite so that I don't need to worry about whether
> it is enough or not? In S-plus, you can do this by
> setting:
>
> options( memory = as.integer( Inf ) )
 >
> is it possible to do this in R?

You are on Windows, right?

See ?memory.limit

You cannot say "Inf", but memory.limit(4000) sets it to 4Gb which you
won't reach with a 32bit machine anyway.

Say you are on a 32bit machine with 512Mb of RAM, you certainly do not
want that R accesses much more than 512Mb for itself, in order to
prevent too much swapping. And that's what R chooses for you.

Uwe Ligges