[R] linux compile options (64-bit)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 2 08:34:39 CEST 2005

We find it equally strange that you posted this!

The advice _is_ in the R-admin manual which the INSTALL file asks you to
read if you have any questions.  It covers using enhanced BLAS libraries.

R builds out of the box on FC3, FC4 and Suse on AMD64.  I use Goto's BLAS,
but ATLAS can be used (except that building a shared version is tricky).

Quite a few packages have been written in ways that stop them building on
64-bit platforms (and the maintainers have been informed but not fixed
them).