[R] New functions supporting GIF file format in R

Tuszynski, Jaroslaw W. JAROSLAW.W.TUSZYNSKI at saic.com
Mon Aug 1 22:03:39 CEST 2005

Sorry about late response but I was traveling and did not follow R-Help for
2 weeks.

I think, I prefer to leave read/write.GIF functions in my package where I
have a full control of IO formats. I like to store images as integer or real
matrices, and movies as 3D arrays. I believe that 'pixmap' package (as well
as 'rimage' package and possibly others) use specialized classes for images
, and do not handle movies at all (correct me if I am wrong).

If you would like to add capability reading and writing GIF files (or ENVI
files - another multi-frame file format - see read/write.ENVI) to the
'pixmap' class, feel free to write a shell around my function. With input in
correct range (0:255) and option "scale='never'", no processing will be done
to your data on the way in or out. Also, I am not planning on making any
changes to that function, unless bugs are found.

Regards,

Jarek

 Jarek Tuszynski, PhD.                           o / \
 Science Applications International Corporation  <\__,|
 (703) 676-4192                                   ">   \
 Jaroslaw.W.Tuszynski at saic.com                     `    \