[R] Snow sockets

J. Cowan james.cowan at yale.edu
Fri Apr 29 23:44:29 CEST 2005

Greetings all. I am trying to run some stuff using the SNOW library on RH
EL3 intel x86_64 and I am running into this error:

Error in unserialize(node$con) : error reading from connection

I am using sockets (not preferred but I can't seem to get rpvm or Rmpi
either one to work on x86_64 for different reasons) and it seems to work
well when the jobs are small, but it seems that they are timing out after
only a short while if the work takes longer than a couple of minutes.

Is there a way to adjust the timeout for the socket without doing so in the
snow source (which I am not entirely comfortable with)?

J. Cowan
Yale University School of Medicine
Core Tissue Microarray Facility
310 Cedar St., PO Box 208023
New Haven,  CT  06520-8023
ph 203-785-6532
email:  james.cowan at yale.edu

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them you're a mile away and you have their
shoes.