[R] Reconstruction of a "valid" expression within a function

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Apr 28 23:31:46 CEST 2005

"Pascal Boisson" <Pascal.Boisson at scri.ac.uk> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I have some trouble in reconstructing a valid expression within a
> function,
> here is my question.
>
> I am building a function :
>
> SUB<-function(DF,subset=TRUE) {
> #where DF is a data frame, with Var1, Var2, Fact1, Fact2, Fact3
> #and subset would be an expression, eg. Fact3 == 1
>
> #in a first time I want to build a subset from DF
> #I managed to, with an expression like eg. DF$Fact3,
> # but I would like to skip the DF$ for convenience
> # so I tried something like this :
>
> tabsub<-deparse(substitute(subset))
> dDF<-deparse(substitute(DF))
>
> if (tabsub[1]!="TRUE") {
> subset<-paste(dDF,"$",tabsub,sep="")}
>
> #At this point, I have a string that seems to be the expression that I
> want
> sDF<-subset(DF, subset)
> }
>
> #But I have an error message :
> >Error in r & !is.na(r) : operations are possible only for numeric or
> logical types
>

> I can not understand why is that, even after I've tried to convert
> properly the string into an expression.

No you haven't... You're passing a string to subset(). BTW, it would
be easier to follow your code if it didn't use "subset" with two
different meanings. At the very least you'd need to parse the subset
expression and either eval() it and pass the result to subset(), or
use substitute to insert it at the proper place and eval the whole
enchillada.

But why? subset() does this stuff internally already:

> subset(airquality, Ozone < 10)
    Ozone Solar.R Wind Temp Month Day
9       8      19 20.1   61     5   9
11      7      NA  6.9   74     5  11
18      6      78 18.4   57     5  18
21      1       8  9.7   59     5  21
23      4      25  9.7   61     5  23
76      7      48 14.3   80     7  15
94      9      24 13.8   81     8   2
114     9      36 14.3   72     8  22
137     9      24 10.9   71     9  14
147     7      49 10.3   69     9  24

[look inside subset.data.frame for the code that accomplishes this]