[R] dyn.load(), DLL, Fortran, TLNise software

accetta@virgilio.it accetta at virgilio.it
Wed Apr 27 11:55:56 CEST 2005

Dear all,

I would like to call TLNise  ("Two-Level Normal indipendent sampling estimation")
software within R.

This software estimates a hierarchical model and it can be download from
Philip Everson's website at
"http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/peverso1/TLNise/tlnise.htm".

The TLNise software consists of:

1) a Fortran source code (tlnisemv1.f) and
2) a Splus code (TLNisemv1.src)

To use this codes within R:

1) I compiled the source code using g77 (from MinGW).
I typed  "g77 -c tlnisemv1.f"  to  create a Fortran object file (tlnisemv1.o).

2) I edited  TLNisemv1.src to point to my copy of tlnise.o.
I changed the path in dyn.load("c:\\tlnisemv1.o")

3) I modified the Splus code to be used in R (i.e I changed _ with <-)

4) I sourced TLNisemv1.src into R using  source("c/TLNisemv1.src") to load
the R functions.

But when I tried to load  the shared library using the dyn.load() function
I got an error message:

Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
        unable to load shared library "c:/programmi/wingw/programs/tlnisemv1.dll":

So I decided to build a DLL from the source file "tlnisemv1.f".

For doing this, I first typed "g77 --shared -o tlnisemv1.dll tlnisemv.f"
using  g77 (from MinGW).
Then I edited  TLNisemv1.src to point to my copy of "tlnisemv1.dll".

But again  when I tried to load  the shared library using dyn.load() function
 I got the same error message.

How can I debug this problem?
How should I proceed?
Have you have used TLNise software in R?

Thank you

Gabriele Accetta