[R] RE: ANOVA with both discreet and continuous variable

Steve Adams steve_adams_sd at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 26 01:16:14 CEST 2005

If the treatment contrast is used, the p value for x1
is testing whether the slope at the reference level of
x2 is equal to 0 (think about the model y~x1*x2 as
fitting 2 straight lines, one for the reference level
of x2, and one for the other level of x2). I am not
quite sure about what it tests when the helmert
contrast is used, my guess is it tests whether the
slope at the mid-level (?) of the x2 is equal to 0.
maybe other experts can comment on this.

Steve