[R] Installing packages, again

Paul Roebuck roebuck at odin.mdacc.tmc.edu
Mon Apr 25 22:28:01 CEST 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Tyler Smith wrote:

> I've just uninstalled R2.01 and installed the new R2.10 on my WindowsXP
> machine. I then attempted to install the vegan package from source
> files, as I learned to do last week, with the help of some of you. I
> have updated my path variable to the new R directory (R/rw2010/bin
> instead of R/rw2001pat/bin), and I've still got the HTMLHelpWorkshop
> files installed, as well as Perl and the MinGW compiler. I didn't change
> anything in those files, and everything is stored in directories without
> spaces in the name. I had trouble with the install, so I deleted the
> rtools folder and reinstalled it.
>
> Still, the package won't install. Following R CMD INSTALL vegan I get
> the error: "no rule to make target 'C:/R/rw2001pat/include/R.h', needed
> by 'goffactor.o'. Stop." So it looks like I've still got something
> pointing to the old rw2001pat directory, instead of the new rw2010
> directory. Can anyone tell me what I've overlooked? I have also gone
> into Mkrules and updated all the paths that I could.

Create a file in the 'vegan' package directory named
'.Rbuildignore' and add the text 'Makedeps' on a line by
itself. See if that fixes your problem. You're picking up
the dependencies from previous version's last compilation.
You could also delete this file since it'll be recreated
anyway. IMO, the file 'Makedeps' should be added to the list
of files R ignores by default.