[R] Upgrading R

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Apr 25 13:42:25 CEST 2005

Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> writes:

> > You have to distinguish official releases and patched versions.
> > For official releases:
> > Form the developer page: "The general schedule is to have major
> > releases (x.y.0) biannually".
> > During the last few years, each major release was followed by one
> > minor (bug-fix) release after roughly one month.
>
> Right, the daily builds are unreleased snapshots, and are not tested
> by me.  If all goes well then whoever committed the latest changes
> tested them and didn't break anything, but things occasionally go
> wrong, which is why we have the alpha and beta test periods before a
> release.

In particular, daily snapshots are usually only tested on the machine
of the last person to commit code to the repository. One of the main
points of having the test periods before release, and the associated
code freezes, is that this allows a reasonable chance that the released
sources work across a range of platforms. (The other reason is that it
prevents developers from rushing in changes.)