[R] RCMD check error windows

Patrick Giraudoux patrick.giraudoux at univ-fcomte.fr
Sat Apr 23 12:21:15 CEST 2005

Dear Lister,

I am working with Windows XP and R 2.1.0 and can check and build
home-made packages easily (just *.r, *.rmd, *.rda files, no compiled
code). However for some reasons, I cannot check or build the package
'foreign' from the source (I took it as an exercise...). After some
lines of sentences OK (here omitted and replaced by ...),  I get a
message like this:

RCMD check foreign
installing R.css in 'C:/R/rw2010/src/library/foreign.Rcheck'
-------Making package foreign-------------------
adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
intalling NAMESPACE file and metadata
making dll
make[4]: ***[libR.a] Error 255
make[3]: ***[libR.] Error 2
make[2]: ***[srcDynlib] Error 2
make[1]: ***[all] Error 2
make: ***[pkg-foreign] Error 2
*** Installation of foreign failed ***

Removing 'C:/R/rw2010/src/library/foreign.Rcheck/foreign'
 ERROR
Installation failed

I can hardly find out what it means... I suspect it may come from a path
not well defined or some batch file lacking, but I can hardly guess
exactly which ones... The documentation 'writing R extension' pages 8-9
(high suspicion that if I could understand it fully, I could solve the
problem) is still obscure to me on this subject.

Can anybody put me on the right track?

Patrick

--

Department of Environmental Biology