[R] R closes unexpectedly with write.dbf()

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Apr 22 08:57:07 CEST 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Robin Schroeder wrote:

> Dear R-list,
>
> I am trying to do a relatively simple manipulation in R on a dbf file and then write the dbf file back out the file system. Here are the commands:
>
> (load the foreign library package)
> union <- read.dbf("C:/ITRSampleData/fromGrass/union.dbf", as.is=FALSE)
> attach(union)
> union$wu_fract <- area_union*a_SUM/a_area_tor
> detach(union)
> write.dbf(union, "C://ITRSampleData/fromR/union_postR.dbf")
>
> after I run the last command, Windows tells me that R has encountered a
> problem and needs to shut down. It also asks if I want to report the
> problem to microsoft... R then shuts down completely.
>
> I have tried this with the factor2char=TRUE and FALSE, with the same result.
> I checked is.data.frame(union) and it is true.
>
> An empty dbf file is created in the correct place, so I know R has
> access/permissions and my file path is correct.
>
> I have used the write.dbf command in a number of other places and have
> never run into this problem.

Please state the version of the foreign library you are using, update
foreign to 0.8-7, and try again. There were two bugs in write.dbf() up to
0.8-5, one when a column of the data frame was all 0 and the other when a
column was all NA. Also please do summary(union$wu_fract) - I suspect it
is either all 0 or NA. 0.8-7 guards against both of these problems, which
are in code trying to work out the appropriate width of the output DBF
fields.