[R] Installing packages from source on WindowsXP

Tyler Smith tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Fri Apr 22 07:26:58 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm having some problems installing packages from the source files on
Windows, using R CMD INSTALL pkg. I'm running WindowsXP, and I've
followed the instructions as per the README.packages file from the R
installation. I ran into a hitch, with the install failing following a
"hhc: not found" warning. I figured out that this was related to the
html help workshop. Adding the HHW folder to the Path variable didn't
help. README.packages mentions that HHW should be in the same drive as
the other tools, which it is, but in a different folder. So I put a copy
of hhc.exe in the Rtools/bin folder and everything seems to have worked out.

My question is, is this going to cause me problems later on? Should I
transfer all the HHW files to the Rtools/bin? Is there a better way to
arrange the HHW files?

I'm installing from source files instead of using the automated GUI
feature because I want to read the original code to see how experienced
users write functions. I'm using version 2.0.1 Patched (2005-04-16).

Thanks for your time,

Tyler

--
Tyler Smith