[R] Anova - adjusted or sequential sums of squares?

Lucke, Joseph F LUCKE at uthscsa.edu
Thu Apr 21 16:28:55 CEST 2005

Assume Type 1 SS and no interaction.

Under Model 1, your sums of squares (SS) is partitioned SS(M), SS(L|M),
SS(E1|L,M).  In Model 2 it is SS(L), SS(M|L), SS(E2|L,M).  The total SS
in both Model 1 & 2 are equal, and SS(E1|L,M) = SS(E2|L,M). [ If the
design had been orthogonal then also SS(M)= SS(M|L) and SS(L)=SS(L|M) ].
In Model 3 it is
SS(L), SS(E3|L).  Now SS(E3|L) = SS(M|L)+ SS(E2|M,L).

If you want to test the _unconditional_ effect of Mother (ignoring
Mother), you compare Model 1 to Model 3 (using drop1() for example).  If
you want to test the _conditional_ effect of Mother (Litter effect
adjusted for Mother effect), you run Model 1 and test the main effect of
Litter (=Litter|Mother).

These are the same concepts as found in regression.

Joe