[R] Suggestion for the posting guide

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Apr 21 16:27:29 CEST 2005

On Thursday 21 April 2005 09:09, Bock, Michael wrote:
> I was preparing an e-mail for the help list and ran across a
> quandary. When asking for help it is useful to include the code/data
> so others can run your code and test it. I was running code on a data
> frame and wanted to include a small version of the data frame. The
> data frame was based on experimental data. What is the best way to do
> this? I didn't want to send an attachment so a wrote code to generate
> the data frame but it was a bit cumbersome. Everything worked as
> planned but then I saw my error and never had to send to e-mail
> (perhaps there is hope for me yet). Is there an easier way to export
> a SMALL data frame so you can recreate it using the example code that
> can be placed in the posting guide?

I believe this is already covered. Here's what the guide has to say:

"""
When providing examples, it is best to give an R command that constructs
the data, as in the matrix() expression above. For more complicated
data structures, dump("x", file=stdout()) will print an expression that
will recreate the object x.
"""

-Deepayan