[R] Download advice please!

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 21 14:01:31 CEST 2005

I use wget under Windows all the time.

However, if you use Internet Explorer (as your cafe probably does but I
try not to), you can just open ftp://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib and it
will show up as a folder. Just copy that folder (e.g. drag it to a user
area).  It has to be ftp:// - this is part of the inbuilt ftp client.
(It works for uploading too, which is why I know about it.)

The problem either way is that you will get the Archive, which is much
larger than the current part.  So I actually use rsync to avoid this.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk